Lucuma ice cream is a dessert that has been popular in the past but is now becoming more popular due to its unique flavour and texture.
This ice cream is made with lucuma, which is a type of palm fruit. It is sour and has a strong flavour, which makes it an interesting choice for a dessert.
How to Make lucuma ice cream?
Lucuma ice cream is a typical dessert of Peruvian gastronomy, a fruit considered the “Gold of the Incas”, for its flavour, nutritional value and the myths behind it.
Preparing an ice cream has never been so easy since it only consists of a few supplies and does not require an expert to prepare it. Ideal to share with the family and combat the hot weather. Are you ready to prepare it? , Let’s do it.
And today you will learn how to prepare lucuma ice cream in just a few steps, let’s get started!
History of lucuma ice cream recipe
Lucuma ice cream is of Peruvian origin, a fruit that has been present since pre-Inca times, coming to be considered one of the most important fruits, being embodied in fabrics and has of various cultures.
In the Moche culture, the consumption of lucuma is evidenced in its “bottleneck” vessels, today exhibited in the Larco Museum.
Lucuma in pre-Hispanic times according to the imagination of the natives was a fruit associated with fertility, it was also associated with the female breasts that nourish since when cutting an unripe fruit a milky liquid sprouted.
During the time of the Viceroyalty, the Spanish considered lucuma as an “Indian food” due to its strange shape and being unattractive to people.
The additional lucuma of being delicious provides multiple nutrients to our body allowing us to fight depression with the content of vitamin B3, reduces cholesterol levels, fights digestive problems, and stimulates the creation of collagen, among others.
At present, lucuma ice cream is so well received by Peruvians that we can find it in an artisanal and industrial way.
The Tottus supermarket, the Bell’s brand, Cuisine & Co offer these packaged ice creams to the public.
Other companies such as Helados OVNI and Helado ET, give it to the public in an artisanal way, being sold in stalls served in cones and glasses.
LUCUMA ICE CREAM RECIPE
- 250 g lucuma pulp
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 250 g condensed milk
- 250 ml whipping milk / whipped cream
- We will start by placing the lucuma pulp in the blender and add ½ cup of evaporated milk, blend until pure.
- Once liquefied, we will pass it through a sieve and put it in a pot.
- Cook the lucuma over medium-low heat until it slightly breaks into a boil and turn off the stove.
- Now we will reserve it in a large bowl and let it cool to room temperature. Followed we will put the preparation in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes (we reserve)
- After 30 minutes we remove from the refrigerator and add the condensed milk and begin to mix with the help of a manual mixer until the inputs are integrated (we reserve)
- Now we are going to pour the milk to beat or whipped cream that must be cold in a large bowl and with the help of an electric mixer we will beat until peaks form, this will take between 3 to 4 minutes.
- After beating we are going to pour the lucuma in 2 parts and with a palette we will move to integrate them.
- Next, we will pour the preparation into a taper and cover it to take it to the freezer overnight.
- The next day it will be ready to enjoy it accompanied by fosh or the topping you want.
- Bon Appetite!
- 5 units of lucuma are equivalent to between 250 and 300 grams of pulp.
- If we do not cover the preparation and take it to the freezer, frost will form and it will not have that smooth texture on the surface.
- The ice cream will be ready between 8 to 10 hours in the freezer.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?